MACED Seeks Controller
MACED is looking for a highly motivated and experienced accounting and finance professional to join its staff as controller. This new position offers an exciting growth opportunity for a qualified individual who shares MACED's vision, values and commitment to making a positive difference in Appalachian communities.
The Mountain Association for Community Economic Development (MACED) is a 36 year-old multi-strategy sustainable economic development organization that seeks to create economic alternatives that work for people and places in need in Central Appalachia and Kentucky. MACED's long-term goals are a strong and diverse economy; increased family well-being, particularly for low-income people; healthy and protected land, air and water; and an effective and accountable democracy.
MACED is a fast-paced, dynamic and growing organization with a 29-person staff that manages $23 million in total assets. The organization focuses its efforts on sustainable development and change strategies that generate economic and environmental benefits to people and places. These strategies include: 1) providing financial capital and expertise to individuals, businesses and communities, 2) conducting research and engaging in effective communications to support good public policy, and 3) demonstrating effective community economic development efforts that make a difference.
MACED Finance Function
MACED's finance team currently has three members: the finance director; the accounting supervisor; and the payroll and accounting clerk. This team handles all payroll, accounting, budgeting, reporting and cash management functions for a complex organization with an annual budget of $4 million. The organization counts on the finance team to maintain the highest standards of integrity, accountability, efficiency and excellence.
MACED has been recognized by the U.S. Department of the Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). As a CDFI, MACED uses capital to support community development. MACED's accounting staff regularly deals with both GAAP for nonprofits and accounting issues that come with lending and investment activities. Revenue and support come from a wide variety of sources, primarily government and private grants, many with unique reporting requirements; interest and other financing revenue from loans made by MACED programs; and the provision of a variety of services. MACED's organizational structure involves three separate legal entities that are consolidated for financial reporting purposes. In addition, MACED keeps the books for an affiliated nonprofit.
The controller position is designed as a training ground for the finance director position, which will be vacant within three years due to retirement. The current finance director will continue to lead the finance team while transitioning responsibility for the team's functions to the new controller position. After a transition period of about six months, the controller will take over leadership of the finance team. Until retirement, the finance director will retain responsibility for long-term financial planning, financial reporting to the management team and board, and supervision of the controller. She will also pick up additional responsibilities providing financial expertise to other programs.
The controller ensures smooth overall financial operations by leading the finance team. The controller is responsible for the performance of the team through the use of a supportive coaching style, lead thinking, decision-making, work planning, regular evaluation and feedback. This includes direct responsibility to:
• Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
• Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue; costs; program and grant budgets; and financing revenues and expenses.
• Oversee accounting and systems for coordination with MACED's programmatic lending activities.
• Coordinate all audit activity, including A-133 audit.
• Lead the preparation of tax and information returns for MACED and affiliated entities.
• Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of MACED's financial status.
• In coordination with annual program planning, guide the annual budgeting process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
• Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant or budget period; ensure timely and accurate reporting on all grants and contracts.
• Manage organizational cash flow forecasting.
• Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
• Support the operations and finance director in informing and engaging the board's audit and finance committees to enable them to perform their guidance and oversight responsibilities effectively.
• Leverage strengths of the current finance team members; ensure appropriate training to reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
• Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
• Undertake special assignments.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications and Characteristics
Knowledge and experience:
• Four-year accounting degree.
• At least seven years of accounting and/or auditing experience.
• Experience with payroll; financial reporting; coordinating audit activities; and managing budget development and analysis.
• Successful supervisory and/or team leadership experience demonstrating strong interpersonal skills.
• Solid understanding of GAAP, including GAAP for nonprofits and for financial institutions.
• Understanding of financial strategy, including issues of capital structure.
• Integrity, credibility and commitment to MACED's mission.
• Willingness and demonstrated ability to take responsibility for complex finance functions and reporting.
• Analytic, organizational and problem solving skills that support strategic data interpretation vs. simple reporting.
Technology and software:
• Power user of Excel.
• Hands-on and advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
• Understanding of IT architecture and implications for organizational effectiveness and institutional risk.
• Strong interpersonal and written communication skills.
• Ability to explain financial matters to general audiences, program staff, and IT providers as well as other accountants.
• Close vision with or without corrective lenses necessary for computer work.
• Manual dexterity needed to operate computer.
• Able to perform assigned duties in a time-efficient manner.
Preferred Qualifications and Characteristics
• CPA or MBA with concentration in accounting.
• CDFI experience, and/or experience in the financial sector, in particular business lending.
• Track record in grants management, in particular compliance and reporting of government and foundation grants.
• Experience with A-133 audits.
• Experience preparing Form 990.
• Experience with Sage Fund Accounting software.
• Demonstrated experience with strategic financial planning.
• Concrete evidence of effective communication about financial matters to different audiences (e.g. boards and board committees, management, funders, constituents, program staff).
• Experience in IT management.
• Interest in Appalachian region.
The position offers a competitive salary, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package. Position is based in Berea, Kentucky. Berea is a beautiful, small college town, an hour south of Lexington, on the edge of the Appalachian region. MACED is an equal opportunity employer.
Please email your resume, three references and a cover letter specifically explaining why you are a good fit for this position to email@example.com. Application review will be on-going and continue until the position is filled. For more information about MACED visit www.maced.org.