How$martKY welcomes any contractor wanting to join the program and get work referred to them. Already fourteen different contractors are participating and reaping the benefits. Here are the steps contractors need to take:
1. Have licenses required by state, local and professional bodies
2. Be in good standing with the relevant How$martKY participating coop
3. Sign a Master Contractor Agreement which establishes that the contractor agrees to do the work as specified by the How$martKY energy auditor in a conservation plan. This agreement is signed jointly by the contractor and the rural electric cooperative.
4. Attend a part-day training/orientation hosted by the coop
5. Assume responsibility for all aspects of his/her work, permits, insurance coverage, warrantees, bonding and representation.
6. Agree not to charge more than the final approved estimate for the scope of work performed under the conservation plan.
7. Maintain a minimum of $1 million in comprehensive general liability and other insurance for protection from claims arising from the result of contractor’s performance on any How$martKY retrofit project.
a. General Liability Insurance of $500,000
b. Workers’ Compensation Insurance of $500,000
8. Also maintain insurance coverage consistent with any requirements of any regulatory or licensing body associated with services the contractor provides.
To get started, contact the participating How$martKY rural electric coop near you. They are:
Big Sandy RECC
Grayson Rural Electric
How$martKY is available in the following counties to customers of these four rural electric coops:
For more information about how to participate in How$martKY as a residential contractor, contact Jason at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 859-986-2373.